Welcome to UEB Online!
Welcome to the UEB Online website, administered by the NextSense Institute. This website offers free, online training programs in braille literacy and mathematics using the Unified English Braille (UEB) code.
The purpose of the UEB Online website is to promote equitable information access and expression in braille for persons with blindness and severe vision impairment.
The UEB Online training programs are suitable for anyone who wants to learn braille. This includes educators, families, allied health professionals, and education administrators and policy makers who promote the use of braille as a medium for information access and communication.
Website Accessibility Options
UEB Online has been created using accessible, inclusive digital technologies that enable equal information access for all.
- Visual access mode: For people with sufficient sight to access regular sized print-based information on the website,
- High contrast mode: For people with low vision who wish to adjust the font size, background colour or text colour,
- Non-Visual access mode: For people who wish to use a screen reader for accessing website information.
To complete the UEB Online lessons, you will need a computer and internet connection. See System Requirements for more detail.
Please note that the lessons cannot be completed using an iPad, smart phone or other hand held device.
- Register. You are required to register and create a personal password in order to track your progress through the lessons and save your work. Registration enables you complete, save and re-open you lessons from any computer that is connected to the internet.
- Keyboard check, to ensure that your keyboard is compatible with the braille lessons.
- How to complete the lessons. This section of the website explains how to complete lessons, how automated marking works, and how to apply for a completion certificates (if required). This section also includes information about accessing the UEB Online website using the visual and non-visual access options.
- Select your UEB training program.
- UEB Literacy consists of two modules that, together, address the literacy aspects of Unified English Braille. Module 1 presents lessons 1-14, and Module 2 presents lessons 15-31.
- UEB Introductory Mathematics is presented as ten lessons that address mathematics symbols and expressions that are encountered during the primary years of schooling. It is recommended that the UEB Literacy modules are completed prior to commencing UEB Introductory Mathematics.
- UEB Advanced Mathematics consists of ten lessons that address mathematics symbols and expressions that are encountered during the junior years of secondary schooling. The UEB Introductory Mathematics topic must be completed before commencing the UEB Extension Mathematics topic.
- UEB Extension Mathematics (now available) consists of ten lessons that address mathematics symbols and expressions that are encountered during the senior years of secondary schooling. Both the UEB Introductory Mathematics and UEB Advanced Mathematics topics must be completed before commencing the UEB Extension Mathematics topic.
NextSense promotes the rights of all persons with vision impairment to inclusion in education, employment and society on the same basis as sighted persons – leaving no-one behind. The braille training programs are offered free of charge, in recognition of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the UN Education 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The NextSense Institute for Research and Professional Education is committed to the provision of high quality teaching and learning opportunities for professional and families supporting people with vision or hearing impairment, in addition to research and related community service in these same areas.