Welcome to UEB Online!
Welcome to the UEB Online website, administered by the NextSense Institute. This website offers online training programs and competency exams in braille literacy and mathematics using the Unified English Braille (UEB) code.
The purpose of the UEB Online website is to provide systematic instruction and accreditation in UEB for people worldwide who are teaching and promoting braille for persons with blindness, low vision, and deafblindness.
The UEB Online training programs and competency exams are suitable for anyone who wants to learn and teach braille. This includes educators, families, allied health professionals, and administrators and decision makers who promote the use of braille as a medium for information access and communication.
Website Accessibility Options
UEB Online has been created using accessible, inclusive digital technologies that enable equitable information access for all.
- Visual access mode: For people with sufficient sight to access regular sized print-based information on the website,
- High contrast mode: For people with low vision who wish to adjust the font size, background colour or text colour,
- Non-Visual access mode: For people who wish to use a screen reader for accessing website information.
To complete the UEB Online training programs and competency exams, you will need a computer and internet connection. See System Requirements for more detail.
Please note that the training programs and competency exams cannot be completed using an iPad, smart phone or other hand held device.
You are required to register and create a personal password in order access the training programs and competency exams. Registration enables you complete, save and re-open your lessons and exams from any computer that is connected to the internet.
Complete a keyboard check to ensure that your keyboard allows you to press combinations of keys at one time, to create the different braille symbols and contractions.
Go to your Dashboard and choose either a training program to learn Unified English Braille or a competency exam to confirm your competency in Unified English Braille.
Available training programs are:
- UEB Literacy Training Program consists of two modules that, together, address the literacy aspects of Unified English Braille. Module 1 presents lessons 1-14, and Module 2 presents lessons 15-31.
- UEB Introductory Mathematics Training Program is presented as ten lessons that address mathematics symbols and expressions that are encountered during the primary years of schooling. It is recommended that the UEB Literacy modules are completed prior to commencing UEB Introductory Mathematics.
- UEB Advanced Mathematics Training Program consists of ten lessons that address mathematics symbols and expressions that are encountered during the junior years of secondary schooling. The UEB Introductory Mathematics topic must be completed before commencing the UEB Extension Mathematics topic.
- UEB Extension Mathematics Training Program consists of ten lessons that address mathematics symbols and expressions that are encountered during the senior years of secondary schooling. Both the UEB Introductory Mathematics and UEB Advanced Mathematics topics must be completed before commencing the UEB Extension Mathematics topic.
Refer to How to complete a Training program for an explanation on completing lessons, how automated marking works, and how to apply for a completion certificates (if required). This section also includes information about accessing the UEB Online website using the visual and non-visual access options.
Available competency exams are:
- UEB Literary Competency Exam consists of two parts, a 1000 word translation of print into braille and 20 multiple choice questions. A Certificate of Competency in Unified English Braille (Literary) is awarded on successful completion of both parts of the exam. Refer to Completing a Literary Exam for more detail.
- UEB Introductory Mathematics Competency Exam consists of 40 questions translating a print mathematics expression into braille. A Certificate of Competency in Unified English Braille (Introductory Mathematics) is awarded on successful completion of the exam. Refer to Completing a Mathematics Exam for more detail
The UEB competency exams are open book exams. We encourage you to review the UEB training manuals and other resources which are located under Resources.
Refer to UEB Competency Exams – Steps to get started for information on how to get started and purchase a competency exam.
NextSense promotes the rights of all persons with blindness, low vision and deafblindness to inclusion in education, employment and society on the same basis as sighted persons – leaving no-one behind. The braille training programs and examinations of braille competency are offered by NextSense in recognition of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the UN Education 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The NextSense Institute for Research and Professional Education is committed to the provision of high quality teaching and learning opportunities for professional and families supporting people with vision or hearing impairment, in addition to research and related community service in these same areas.